• March 29, 2023, 9:18 p.m.

Sorry to have to share this, it makes me feel a little grubby - but sometimes other people need to be called out.
    Our 'competitor' site has now adopted a slogan, 'DPR Users, unite'. On DPReview, this thread, promoting that forum' has been put there by a moderator:
    www.dpreview.com/forums/post/66975658
    Which contains the line
    'Cooperation over competition'.
    Which is fine, except that it was the owner of that site that decided that there should be competition. Below is the discussion that we had:
    Screen Shot 2023-03-29 at 22.06.30.png
    Screen Shot 2023-03-29 at 22.06.44.png
    Screen Shot 2023-03-29 at 22.06.55.png
    Screen Shot 2023-03-29 at 22.07.05.png
    Screen Shot 2023-03-29 at 22.07.27.png
    If he wants competition, then that's fine. But presenting it as though we were the ones wanting to compete is just untrue.
    As you will see form the DPR thread, I made a polite post simply raising the issue. You will see what the outcome was. As a result I have been sandboxed by this moderator (I suspect that he knows that he won't get away with banning me).
    I just wanted people here to know who it is that is interested in co-operation, and who isn't.

Screen Shot 2023-03-29 at 22.07.27.png

PNG, 98.4 KB, uploaded by bobn2 on March 29, 2023.

Screen Shot 2023-03-29 at 22.07.05.png

PNG, 98.2 KB, uploaded by bobn2 on March 29, 2023.

Screen Shot 2023-03-29 at 22.06.55.png

PNG, 119.3 KB, uploaded by bobn2 on March 29, 2023.

Screen Shot 2023-03-29 at 22.06.44.png

PNG, 128.1 KB, uploaded by bobn2 on March 29, 2023.

Screen Shot 2023-03-29 at 22.06.30.png

PNG, 121.4 KB, uploaded by bobn2 on March 29, 2023.

• Members 3613 posts
    March 29, 2023, 10:57 p.m.

I don't have a lot of confidence in the integrity of the Administrator there.
    The fact that he is attracting some refugee moderators from DPReview suggests to me that moderator bad behaviour will not only continue over there but probably be encouraged by the Admin guy.

Anyway, this here is a much friendlier environment :-)

• Members 260 posts
    March 29, 2023, 11:05 p.m.

hopefully maco11 will go there and stay there ...

• Members 3613 posts
    March 29, 2023, 11:25 p.m.

lol.....I too have just been sandboxed by Aquired Taste after posting in his thread. But it's too late. Screenshots of the conversation I had with the Admin guy are on the Internet.

• Members 1539 posts
    March 29, 2023, 11:42 p.m.
  • Members 3613 posts
    March 29, 2023, 11:54 p.m.

But it's membership and forum activity is much smaller than here.
    I've said my piece elsewhere about their admin guy with supporting screenshots, so time will tell.

• Members 435 posts
    March 30, 2023, 12:17 a.m.

I'm a member on the other site as well. Had a PM conversation with the Admin on there about a couple of posts. It was interesting and I have nothing against that forum. However I will go where I know a lot of the members and that's quite a few after 23 years and really, that's only one place at the moment.

Yes Dan I did see your post. It was interesting in how it was handled and also it was mentioned in a message. ;-) I'm a Kiwi, so I don't mind speaking out.

Danny.

• Members 2292 posts
    March 30, 2023, 1:51 a.m.

my wishes as well, he was the major player in the demise of a few forums.

• Members 3613 posts
    March 30, 2023, 1:54 a.m.

Yes, he was a strange one. On one occasion he helped me out a lot but on every other interaction I had with him it was so-so and a couple of bad ones thrown in as well
    Even he comes here, if not already, I suspect he won't get a role as moderator.

• Members 2292 posts
    March 30, 2023, 1:57 a.m.

i better not post there as 3 of those mods banned me in the past and im using my original name. i am a member over there but knowing this im going to cancel. the action is here on bobs forum, so thats 2 down and this one wins my vote. :-)

• Members 3613 posts
    March 30, 2023, 1:58 a.m.

Yes, he was a strange one. On one occasion he helped me out a lot but on every other interaction I had with him it was so-so and a couple of bad ones thrown in as well
    Even he comes here, if not already, I suspect he won't get a role as moderator.

If many of the "dodgy" DPR moderators are going over there I suspect it's mainly because they feel they would have little chance of being a moderator here. And if they are thrown into the forums without "superpowers" to protect themselves they probably fear copping some flack from members here :-)

• Members 1539 posts
    March 30, 2023, 2:11 a.m.

And I've been one of his victims, a few times.
    He's probably the worst of all, with a huge ego.

• Members 173 posts
    March 30, 2023, 3:08 p.m.

Politics, sigh ...

I, and I suspect a lot of other people, don't much care about fancypants tech, modorators etc. It's about traffic and content.

I'm also not a big fan of Facebook and its ADD approach to content. I can join endless groups on fb if I want that.

I will stick around here and attempt to post to contribute to content. Hopefully it works out.

• Members 12 posts
    March 30, 2023, 4:01 p.m.

You can safely skip "probably"
    He chased away two (that I know with certainty) valuable posters from Portrait Forum.
    He would delete posts of people disagreeing with him on photo issues, civil, reasonable posts.
    He "moderated" his own discussions on photography related issues.
    Without much exaggeration , DPR moderation was one of the reasons of its demise. And that happened with Admins approval.
    No questioning moderators actions?
    In the end what was left of DPR was Forums and their participants. A great bunch of enthusiasts with some moderators doing their best to chase them away.
    MAKO2011 was without competition.
    Yesterday I saw posts disappearing in a thread about this site there was no reason, none, he kept deleting them..
    And now banning someone for 7 days just before DPR closes for good with no explanation that makes any sense?
    I hope moderators here are vetted. You do not need bad ones..

• Members 284 posts
    March 30, 2023, 4:08 p.m.

YES please!!!

• Members 284 posts
    March 30, 2023, 4:25 p.m.

I went there just now to see how it looks and they are trying to position themselves as a seamless transition between DPR to their new site with a 1:1 look and feel as the original. I like they already have dark mode.

As a member of the Leica l-camera forum, rangefinder forum and fredmiranda all since 2003-2005, I never see these communities as “competition” because members don't have to choose to be part of one or another.

I bet many people will join both and the experience will decide where to spend more time.

• Members 1539 posts
    March 30, 2023, 4:32 p.m.

I just got censured by the emperor again 👍🏻
    See my post on "Moderation" here: dprevived.com/t/moderation/319/6/

• March 30, 2023, 4:34 p.m.

I joined both a few days ago, here and there.

Had some conversations with Dirk about the operation of the site, adding threaded views and that the max upload was 0.5 MB, could it be more. He said no to both, I need to adapt. Then I got banned for being a troll!

I’ve been using the internet from its birth and have never been accused of being a troll, and I’ve never been banned from anything before. Yet I was, after just 3 days over there! Glad in some ways, an efficient testing of a site and its administrator.

Anyway, onwards and upwards, here.