• Members 676 posts
    May 10, 2023, 7:52 p.m.

I've been working the learning curve with ProCapture for about two weeks now and am still stuck on exposure, focus and framing but hope to move to what and where soon … Generally working from about 7am to 12pm local time and on days when I have some sun in the yard .. Today only one session and about 500 frames from which I have found 5 I like … maybe a few more when I examine them closer and ...less critically later …. Here are the five ….

Blue Jay.jpg

Brown Thrasher 1.jpg

Brown Thrasher 2.jpg

Brown Thrasher 3.jpg

Starling.jpg

As to Critiques .. with this technique I have problems with exposure as even across the bird shadows can be a problem this time of year … I usually try to expose to prevent blowing out the whites of the feathers, which on birds can be quite bright ...This often leaves the the file underexposed with the usual problems recovering. The bird is never in critical focus as once he leaves the perch he is moving away from the spot where I can focus on him … and if he flies toward me then he is very quickly completely out of focus with no recovery … I'm getting a bit better at judging framing and thus reduced cropping or leaving parts of the bird out of the frame … but it is still a work in progress .. all of these can be improved be spending more time with the birds and finding better locations to shoot from and hoping the birds are more cooperative (read more time required.) My “what” can be satisfied by selecting the bird/species I am interested in and better knowing his characteristics when approaching and leaving a site … the “where” is more difficult as for me it has to be where I can spend some time or get very lucky … not sure this technique lends itself to a quick decision and set up as I take a walk about. Currently, I do have a condition that keeps me in or close to the yard and less inclined to long walks … so the “where” is probably the approaches to the feeders more than around the feeders ...but those are branches that are more difficult to use this time of year ….

Anyway I hope this generates some critiques and discussion that I might benefit from ….

Brown Thrasher 2.jpg

JPG, 1.4 MB, uploaded by WhyNot on May 10, 2023.

Brown Thrasher 3.jpg

JPG, 1.2 MB, uploaded by WhyNot on May 10, 2023.

Brown Thrasher 1.jpg

JPG, 1.2 MB, uploaded by WhyNot on May 10, 2023.

Starling.jpg

JPG, 1.4 MB, uploaded by WhyNot on May 10, 2023.

Blue Jay.jpg

JPG, 1.5 MB, uploaded by WhyNot on May 10, 2023.

• Members 81 posts
    May 10, 2023, 8:34 p.m.

WhyNot, I'm curious if you're doing any analysis of where in the sequence the shot you like falls. Is it in the second prior to beginning the burst or is it somewhere in the burst and if it's in the burst, why not just shot in burst mode?

In your shots above you seem to have locked your SS @ 1/2500 and your ISO and f-stop float.

You also say that your bird is never in critical focus - are you shooting C-AF? (ProCap SH2)

When I'm out, I'm just happy to get the bird. From reviewing the whole point of ProCap, it seems as if you are expected to anticipate some shot when you half-depress the shutter release and that you're hoping that it's going to fall shortly after you fully depress. So in the example pictured in the manual, the puppy seems like he's going to lick the child pretty soon and you'd want to capture THAT moment.

When I review a burst in OM Workspace, I'm usually happy with the framing and I'm looking for the optimum focus. I usually only get between 5 to 8 images in a burst to sort through.

• Foundation 1439 posts
    May 10, 2023, 8:51 p.m.

WhyNot:

I like your five shots and I think you are doing pretty well with subjects that are not deliberately helping by posing for you! Two weeks is nothing: keep at it and I believe you will get even better. I would like to see more contrast with the backgrounds of #1 and #5, but I understand how difficult that is to control...

David

• Members 567 posts
    May 10, 2023, 9:23 p.m.

These turned out pretty well WN. I like the thrasher best because I like thrashers better than blue jays and starlings.

Andrew

• Members 676 posts
    May 10, 2023, 9:23 p.m.

Thomas Stirr writes that the third shot in the sequence is usually the money shot .. My experience has been that the third, fourth or fifth is usually the peak shot of the sequence. Contradicting that statement -- .. here the blue jay was the third shot in the sequence, but the starling was actually the 11th, two of the brown thrasher frames were the 11th and the other was the 14th in the sequence of 15! .. Says more about how and when I press that shutter button today .. have to do a bit more thinking about this .... Also have to note that I must be doing better with framing as in the past the bird is usually leaving the frame by 6 or7! ....

That's the way it was set today .. still a work in progress ... Need the speed to stop wing motion (still a work in progress also), the lens is slow enough that the aperture is never greater that f/6/3 for some DOF so ISO can float to allow me to work the EV for exposure . ... the birds stayed enough in the sun to keep the ISO below 6400 today-- that is a factor in how I work exposure with this ...

Can't use C-AF with ProCap Hi !! The focus is fixed. I wouldn't use C-AF with the E-M1.2 anyway as I've had no really good experience with it except when shooting BIF against a clear sky ... Maybe better with E-M1X or OM1 with that bird specified focus it can be used with ProCapL... haven't read that yet ..

In these cases I am expecting/waiting for the bird to take off and burning battery as it continuously records frames as I wait to take the picture ... I think this is more like video than still photography in approach ...at least that is my thought as I am thinking a bit differently as I sit there waiting for him to fly rather than taking his portrait sitting there ... In general there is that similar anticipation of motion/action that one would have doing sports photography or child photography. All can surprise you by doing the unexpected ... ..

With ProCap one does set the maximum number a frames to be captured. I currently have that set to 15 and until we did that check for the best shot in sequence I was thinking about reducing that to 10! ....... Bring some of yours over and let's look at them.....

WhyNot

• Members 676 posts
    May 10, 2023, 9:26 p.m.

Thanks for stopping by, David ... I appreciate your thoughts and wish I could have better control of the situation in front of me .. something to consider a little further down this path ...

WhyNot

• Members 676 posts
    May 10, 2023, 9:29 p.m.

Thank you, Andrew .... A pair of thrashers live next door and have become regular visitor lately .. use to live here but moved years ago when we cleared out some uncontrolled growth ... more a nature preserve out back then ...

WhyNot

• Members 81 posts
    May 10, 2023, 9:43 p.m.

I don't generally process more than 1 from a sequence. Several of my recent sequence extractions are here.

I guess the difference is behavior is shooting in the backyard v. shooting in the field. In the field I don't usually have time to anticipate anything.

I can see using ProCap following the words: "You may now kiss the bride"

• Members 676 posts
    May 10, 2023, 10:02 p.m.

Sorry I didn't do my due diligence .. but I did find these just before I read your replied ..you're doing some very nice work ....

I think it depends on how frequently and how long you spend at the site! ... But generally yes ... My thinking is that as I get more familiar and as ProCap becomes part of the tool box I can assign it (and I do now) to a one of the custom settings and can anticipate it's use for different subjects and at different locations when and if I ever get back out of the yard .. We do have the Wheeler National Wildlife Refuge down the road from me and I didn't get out there this year to see the Cranes but hope to get back some time later this year ...

WhyNot

• Members 81 posts
    May 10, 2023, 10:37 p.m.

I used to live in Madison, small world!

Thanks, it's only been since I added the OM-1 to my body collection. I already had the PL100-400. All of the great bird shots I admired on DPReview had been taken with the OM-1. I never got anything close with the 7R3 w/the 200-600 so I traded the 200-600 to help offset the cost of the OM-1.

I've been very pleased.
    116.jpg

116.jpg

JPG, 1.6 MB, uploaded by grsnovi on May 10, 2023.

• Members 336 posts
    May 11, 2023, 8:02 a.m.

These are very good, indeed, WhyNot. I like 2,3,&4 best of these. You are getting better at this and I am enjoying the pictures. Rich

• Members 318 posts
    May 11, 2023, 11:12 a.m.

WN ur getting very good at this tried it on my canon R7 nothing up to ur standards yet but soon 🤔 hopefully 👍

• Members 676 posts
    May 11, 2023, 2:17 p.m.

Thanks Rich ... I do hope it is getting better but there is still plenty of room for improvement ... just not today as it is already overcast with rain coming later this morning ....

WhyNot

• Members 676 posts
    May 11, 2023, 2:21 p.m.

Thank you, Paul .... pull up a chair and let's talk about it ... so far I think its just practice, practice, practice!!! I thought Dave might join us .. haven't seen him around for a couple days ... well have some coffee ....

WhyNot

• Members 318 posts
    May 11, 2023, 2:44 p.m.

The Canon R7 has raw burst it’s name for pro capture 15 frames before u press the shutter button 30 frames after I will have to go out some day with the sole purpose of using raw burst 🙂

• Members 676 posts
    May 11, 2023, 3:19 p.m.

45 frames !!!! You'll need a day or so just to sort through all those frames .. I have reduced mine from 30 to just the 15 taken before & when I press the shutter button .. None after as I usually catch the bird a second after he leaves the perch. I was going to reduce that to 10 shots but on this day I've apparently been getting better at keeping the bird in frame longer!! .... maybe just that day??!! But I find a big problem is the number of frames I have look through after the session ...

I look forward to seeing how it goes and read about your experiences and results with the technique. ....

WhyNot

• Members 318 posts
    May 11, 2023, 3:30 p.m.

Hopefully will give it a try next week when I’m free 🙂

• Members 676 posts
    May 11, 2023, 4:53 p.m.

BTW I just read the most recent Stirr article .... smallsensorphotography.com/ .... about catching swallows diving!!! .. I thought it was very informative about his approach to working with this process and he has made me pondering and acquiring an M1X to get that bird recognition focusing ... He's definitely inot the What and where of ProCapture ...

Not sure this is the best way to carry on this conversation but maybe it might find others interested where private messaging would not but then ....

WhyNot