• Members 1662 posts
    July 22, 2023, 3:33 p.m.

Glad you'd like that as well, but I feel like it's pretty clear that a sub like that will be too insignificant in size to exist on its own. I'm personally happy to be grouped in with other gear sections, as long as it's not under a "other/miscellaneous" name.

• July 22, 2023, 3:40 p.m.

I'm going to let this discussion run for the rest of the day. Tomorrow, I will make some changes to the test site (dev2...) and documentation, based on what I've read here and you can see how that fits.

• Members 1457 posts
    July 22, 2023, 4:29 p.m.

I applaud section compression, hard but necessary work. I am also all in favor of your photo centric focus. The fewer sections the better at this point with some exceptions. You may need to include more descriptive information to help people find the right sections, and you may have to add other sections as you grow, but compression is what is needed at this phase. Too many unoccupied buildings on the street front is bad for business.

You could divide the gear like camera stores do: cameras/lenses/accessories. Or cameras could be subdivided into MF&LF/ILC/Bridge/Phone/Film. In this forum software, the section substructure is less important than in others, because of the Thread View feature. The section/subsection designation works like tagging in a way (in Thread View). If tagging could be achieved another way, you wouldn't really need all the subsections as much. But on the other hand, subsections are the way small communities form in forums, so you need to nurture those at the same time you want to shutter the empty ones. It is a fine line to walk and you'll have to re-walk it regularly.

I've done this kind of compression before with an overblown photo forum structure. For us, post count (moreso than thread count) was the more helpful driver for how we proceeded, because that told us where the activity was. Where you find a hotspot of activity, that is telling you there is a community developing and it may need protection and elbow room rather than compression.

Developing a garbage dump was a brilliant way to deal with nonsense posts without censoring anyone. I do wish the dump could be exempted from Thread View, while still viewable using the forum outline. That would be, in essence, like having a privacy fence to shield it from view by passersby, while leaving the gate unlocked so anyone can prowl around if they wish.

• July 22, 2023, 4:50 p.m.

Me too :)
    Unfortunately forum software doesn't allow such kind of configuration currently - what is visible on homepage, is visible in threads list and vice versa. I hope we will implement that in some future, when we need to add few other permissions for (future) editorial part of the site anyway.

Or maybe people will just start behave better :) (Please no OMGs, Iliah - someone has to be the naïve one™, after all.)

• Members 535 posts
    July 22, 2023, 5 p.m.

Really unfortunatly, 'cause I never see the Forum structure but only the threads lists.
    Even if you radically change it, it's possible that I will never been aware of the change.
    I read Threads only. And the Z talk.

Alas, dump's is one of the things that's always on top of that thread's list.

Disgusting for me, using a lesser word,
    I would like to be able to "hide" or "ignore" all that threads.

"Burn" is not politically correct, and is frowned upon :-(

( I cannot, so I've participated less, last weeks. Sorry )

• July 22, 2023, 5:07 p.m.

Interesting, is that related to timezone or what - I rarely see dumpster threads here, although sometimes there are couple.

Anyway, this discussion goes off topic quickly.
    We know of dumpster visibility problem and will solve that in some future, let discuss just forum structure in this thread :)

• Members 599 posts
    July 22, 2023, 7:32 p.m.

This kind of comment deserves a dumpster! A very narrow and dictatorial point of view! I presume you can't stand the idea of the first amendment...

• July 22, 2023, 7:33 p.m.

My store (Wex, in the UK) has cabinets for each manufacturer and has cameras and lenses in the same cabinets. But your idea is interesting.

• July 22, 2023, 7:35 p.m.

I wonder whether we could move Dumpster to a different site, with links to there from an existing thread. I'll chat with the developers and see what's possible.

Alan

• Members 675 posts
    July 22, 2023, 7:46 p.m.

👍🏻

Rich

• July 22, 2023, 8:16 p.m.

Continuing off topic :)

What do you think about creating no-dump-user role, which has identical rights to normal users except such users will not see neither dumpster forum nor its content (threads)?
    And then one can ask nicely and Alan assigns one to this new role?

• Foundation 1438 posts
    July 22, 2023, 8:17 p.m.

Thank you, AlanSh, for taking the time to write this comprehensive and helpful document.

Random comments:

Stuff to throw out

I think this should be decided on the basis of those fora that are not attracting many postings, while giving alternative places for the subject material.

Beginners questions

I do not consider that the problem has yet been solved of answers that are too complicated and sophisticated for beginners to profit from. This area provided a lot of fodder for the dumpster. It is a laudable section, but may need controlling in some way. (It may be necessary to move it from the fora entirely.)

News and rumours

I think this is important, as I dont wish to go to DPR for it. In any case, I am not convinced that DPR will in future provide such good coverage on it as formerly, with a reduced staff, and presumably budget.

Operating System Threads

I am not sure what this will be about.

Dumpster

I agree that this should not be easily visible as it is, and putting it at the end of the forum list will achieve this to some extent; but a list of threads by timeline, as we have at present, will continue to make these threads highly visible. Maybe a forum that is not in the normal hierarchy would do the trick. People can then go looking for it, but it is would never be thrust under their noses. Perhaps this is what Alan means by a "different site". At all events, I find the contents of the dumpster embarassing for a civilized forum.

What really distinguishes the actual photographs in the different lists from each other? It seems an artificial distinction to me. Years ago, one could easily distinguish between photos taken on Kodachrome, Fugichrome or ORWOchrome; but can one tell the difference between a photo taken with a mirrorless camera, or an SLR camera; or between a Nikon or a Canon? (Some will say yes, I know!) That said, I do think that there is a natural tendency for those who use cameras of a given manufacturer to gather together, and the facilitation of this is not a bad thing.

I always enter through the Threads page, and it makes me aware of things I might otherwise not encounter.

I looked at the possible list of fora and halted at the Photography Genres section. I see the wish to classify photographic subject material; but, frankly, I doubt whether I would would ever have the energy and interest to visit 12 separate fora for photos.

I dont think we should say "DPR is the place for that", and by implication preclude discussion on some legitimate areas. It seems to me to be more important to attract more people to participate and let them determine what subject matter is discussed, in connection with which, I note that this thread has not attracted as many participants as I would have hoped.

I hope my response is not too incoherent.

David

• Removed user
    July 22, 2023, 8:18 p.m.

From which it would follow that there ought to to be FF, "APS-H", "APS-C", 4/3", etc

upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/thumb/f/f0/Sensor_sizes_overlaid_inside.svg/1364px-Sensor_sizes_overlaid_inside.svg.png

• Members 976 posts
    July 22, 2023, 8:20 p.m.

I think there is no hurry with the Beginners Questions forum, no hurry at all.

• Members 1737 posts
    July 22, 2023, 8:37 p.m.

Not necessarily. Compared to, say, FF, there are far fewer MF users. One objective should be to have a healthy number of posts, but not an overwhelming number,in each forum.

• Removed user
    July 22, 2023, 8:44 p.m.

A very good question, I reckon!

• Removed user
    July 22, 2023, 8:51 p.m.

And compared to, say, FF, there are far fewer "APS-H" users, so, by your criterion, there should also be an APS-H forum ...

• Members 1737 posts
    July 22, 2023, 9:16 p.m.

Maybe so. Are there enough APS-H users to get a decent amount of traffic?