• Members 521 posts
    May 14, 2023, noon

I think that many times when someone appeals to "real world experience" as a gold standard, they are relying on a lack of control to grant them license to imagine things to be whatever they want them to be. People tend to ignore confounders and unconsciously assume a direction of causality when drawing conclusions from their "real world experience".

• Members 521 posts
    May 14, 2023, 12:07 p.m.

You might be reading too much into what "science says" if you feel that it needs to be balanced against real world objectives. Science doesn't tell you what to do; it tells you what happens when you do something.

• Members 140 posts
    May 14, 2023, 12:11 p.m.

Hello Canon? Knock Knock! Anybody home? Hello? Hello?

Truly, when I bought my R5 I’d assumed this feature would be present. Stunned that Canon has omitted it!

• Members 3678 posts
    May 14, 2023, 12:14 p.m.

It's been explained earlier this thread why that is not always useful either 🙂

In any case I already know I can add up to 1/2 a stop of extra exposure* from where the camera histogram and/or blinkies show clipping so the Sony feature doesn't enable me to do anything I can't do now 🙂

* exposure - amount of light that struck the sensor per unit area while the shutter was open
    ** optimal exposure - the maximum exposure* within dof and motion blur requirements without clipping important highlights.
    *** under exposed - more exposure* could have been added with the DOF and blur constraints still being met without clipping important highlights.

• Members 521 posts
    May 14, 2023, 12:17 p.m.

The clouds do not actually clip much in the RGB histogram or image, but the levels are so compressed in the upper highlights to get the clouds under "255" that it is posterization city if you try to recover cloud detail from this, because the level of noise is too low to prevent posterization.

• Members 140 posts
    May 14, 2023, 12:24 p.m.

But experience certainly also matters in photography, don’t you agree? I don’t mean how good you are, but things such as observing the effects of aperture and diffraction in the subjects you shoot.

• Members 2294 posts
    May 14, 2023, 12:25 p.m.

im sorry but that is not the represented histogram but a made up one ,here is the proper histogram.

here is the file link

1drv.ms/i/s!ArStsPjQ301PmTJktgwBeeArFb21?e=7gKVrI

test real.jpg

test real.jpg

JPG, 607.9 KB, uploaded by DonaldB on May 14, 2023.

• Members 3678 posts
    May 14, 2023, 12:27 p.m.

Again you are posting images that cannot be verified, especially given your history of faking images to suit the agenda you are pushing at the time.

• Members 521 posts
    May 14, 2023, 12:28 p.m.

Science does not tell you to drive at 55MPH. Science tells you that on level ground, a sustained 55MPH uses the least amount of fuel per mile. It does not tell you that driving in the city and rapidly accelerating after stoplights and stop signs, and also rapidly decelerating when approaching them, peaking at 55MPH in between, will improve your efficiency. It does not tell you to take a much longer route by highway at 55MPH will use less fuel than a much shorter route where you can only drive 30MPH.

I fell for the efficiency fallacy, emotionally, if not rationally when I retired. When I worked, my drive had a lot of highway miles, and so I averaged about 28MPG when I was working, but when I retired, most of my driving was through stoplights and stop signs on local streets, and it dropped to 17MPG. That made me feel that I lost something, but I did not. I drove a lot less, and used less fuel, total.

• Members 140 posts
    May 14, 2023, 12:28 p.m.

The Canons don’t have blinkies at all until after you’ve taken the photo. And I understand that this is perfectly fine under most conditions, but not when light is changing constantly.

Valuable feature: Sony does it, Canon does not.

• Members 2294 posts
    May 14, 2023, 12:29 p.m.

lets see who has the last laugh with the link i just posted smart......a

1drv.ms/i/s!ArStsPjQ301PmTJktgwBeeArFb21?e=7gKVrI

• Members 140 posts
    May 14, 2023, 12:31 p.m.

I wish both of you would just please stop. Let the other have the last word and Ignore.

• May 14, 2023, 12:33 p.m.

But as soon as you do that, you are not looking at 'raw' data, you are applying some sort of colour interpretation.

Alan

• Members 2294 posts
    May 14, 2023, 12:35 p.m.

sony has for 7 years now.

• May 14, 2023, 12:36 p.m.

It's a histogram taken directly from the raw data, not a colour interpretation.

• Members 3678 posts
    May 14, 2023, 12:36 p.m.

We'll just have to disagree on this one 🙂

• Members 3678 posts
    May 14, 2023, 12:40 p.m.
    sensor.jpg

JPG, 43.6 KB, uploaded by DannoLeftForums on May 14, 2023.

• Members 746 posts
    May 14, 2023, 12:47 p.m.

And Panasonic too.