• March 17, 2024, 8:55 p.m.

That's not really an answer. The question begs a 'yes' or 'no'. You can discuss the other factors afterwards.

You believe that the USA cannot conduct a fair trial? Really?

Yes, that's a fair point. It would be a good idea to have a process to ensure that the politician wasn't being persecuted. Possibly before the indictment a randomly selected (so as to prevent bias) group of citizens could go over the evidence and decide whether or not there was a case to answer or whether it was persecution. If they didn't think that there was evidence to support the indictment it would not go ahead. What do you think of that idea?

For a start, the question is irrelevant, since in none of the cases is Mr Trump being charged with insurrection (although a court in Colorado has found as a matter of fact that he did engage in insurrection, and the US Supreme court did not strike that finding down). Next, it's not up to me to believe or not believe it. That is up to a jury - which is something that you likely wouldn't get in a banana republic. Anyhow, I did witness via modern communications media, the events of January 6th in real time. I remember being aghast. In most countries in the world if a group of people had stormed the seat of governement like that they would have been shot immediately. I do remember them erecting a gallows and shouting 'hang Mike Pence'. It seems to me that had it just been a demonstration of discontent with the conduct of the election they would have demonstrated outside, as most peaceful demonstrators do. They wouldn't have broken into the building, they wouldn't have ransacked offices (and by the way, I don't think that it's credible to say that those things didn't happen). For myself I would have thought that the only credible reason for invading the House chamber was to interfere with the conduct of proceedings and prevent the person with the most electoral college votes being duly declared president. I did see all that happening in real time, and if it was a fake then it was the best one ever in history. And yes, that qualifies as an 'insurrection', though an incompetently organised one.

No, I developed my opinions on it in real time as it happened, even before commentators started commentating.

• Members 166 posts
    March 17, 2024, 9:23 p.m.

I'm almost reluctant to jump back in here, but some of the questions being brought up have clear answers.

insurrection: a violent uprising against an authority or government. I think that applies, yes.

Like the videos the insurrectionists shot of themselves? Sure. I don't think they were faked.

Where's the nonsense part?

I'll emphatically repeat that both parties have become very good at ruining the country and do not deserve my trust ... but conservative extremists so far have a monopoly on physical assault of the US Capitol building.

• Members 166 posts
    March 17, 2024, 9:51 p.m.

I was totally anticipating a form of whataboutism rather than a direct followup to the questions and answers. It's disappointing, but expected.

Notice, though, I clearly said that both parties have become very good at ruining the country and do not deserve my trust.

• March 17, 2024, 10:10 p.m.

I've just seen a report on the TV where Trump says "there will be a bloodbath if I am not re-elected". How is that in any way democracy?

[I am sitting in an airport lounge, so I don't know if it's true or not - but why would a news program say that if he hadn't said it?]

Alan

• March 17, 2024, 10:12 p.m.
  • Members 166 posts
    March 17, 2024, 10:17 p.m.

You've called out others for pretending and sarcasm, yet you pretend to pretend that January 6 was unimportant. Why do you think that's useful? Now, I suppose the next move is that someone has to follow your lead and try to trivialize Minneapolis so everyone can continue feeling comfortable with the status quo of blaming the other side for everything. Someone probably will ... but I'm not that person.

You pointed me to this:

www.youtube.com/watch?v=pY72Fx2eqgY

Do you reject that idea yourself?

• March 17, 2024, 10:17 p.m.

Alan, you've clearly been reading the lamestream mediatards too much. He's not threatening a blood bath, he's just pointing out that if the election doesn't declare him the winner the entire population of the US will be so aggrieved that they'll rise in bloody rebellion against themselves and it will have nothing to do with him, completely the fault of the people who fixed an election that he's already won. You have to remember that in 2020 he won every state because people love him so much.

• Members 599 posts
    March 17, 2024, 10:21 p.m.

You forgot to mention he told peeps to drink bleach.

• Members 599 posts
    March 17, 2024, 10:22 p.m.

You are teasing right? If not, the lamestream mediaturds are taking out of context something he said....like this hasn't happened countless times.

• March 17, 2024, 10:25 p.m.

And shine bright lights inside themselves. He's not the sharpest knife in the drawer. I do have to admit, the look on Deborah Birx's face when he said that was priceless. Possibly the best bit of unscripted comedy of the decade.

• Members 599 posts
    March 17, 2024, 10:28 p.m.

A one sided view promoted by the media and democrats. The other side of the coin [that was hidden] has been slowly revealed and now folks realised they were played by the lamestream mediatards. Can you say political propagandist spin jockeys.

• March 17, 2024, 10:32 p.m.

It's an international conspiracy. Even Modi's in on it.
    www.youtube.com/watch?v=rah1COtAzFM

• Members 599 posts
    March 17, 2024, 10:32 p.m.

You did, duly noted, but I don't recall which party you thought was best at destroying the USA?

• Members 166 posts
    March 17, 2024, 10:32 p.m.

There is no 'other side' to violent insurrection at the US Capitol. There's only a side that thinks it's okay and a side that thinks it isn't.

My reluctance to jump back in here was justified. Nothing will be accomplished.