• Members 378 posts
    Jan. 7, 2024, 3:19 p.m.

Hi,

The unfortunate part is that the Medium Format folks all went back to DP Review before The Photo direction emerged. But that would still have a lot of gear chatter. We tend to post the photos and then chat about what we do, and use, to make them.

It's a different sort of forum than the rest.

But I don't see a way to entice those folks back over here though. It'd be a good fit here.

Stan

• Members 676 posts
    Jan. 7, 2024, 6:57 p.m.

Stan,

The discussions over at the Medium Format Forum on DPR are intrinsically gear oriented. There are brief "camera-clubby" type of posts in which a member asks which version of his image is a "better composition," but there is very little interest in images as images. The discussions always gravitate into gear. It's the nature of the place. GAS is alive and well. As it should be.

Maybe it's a "left brain vs right brain" sort of thing. The level of technical expertise there is high, spanning much more than just photography.

I don't believe that membership would find a site devoted to images alone interesting.

Rich

• Members 599 posts
    Jan. 7, 2024, 8:36 p.m.

You have to remember that some folks are drifting this way out of frustration with the other site and realize that there are others who feel the same. Members didn't suddenly leave all at the same time, even though there is a heavy drop in their viewership. Maybe you didn't notice over the years, but there were plenty of bum kissers who permanately had their hand over the 'complaint' button to avenge any commenters opinion they didn't like with like-minded moderation. As an observation of those pathetic weasel types and horrendous moderation accommodating such behaviour, it needs calling out! There is no vitriol intended here, just black and white observations that might hurt the cry baby types because deep down inside, they are guilty of it! But golly gosh, someone dare speak the truth...censor them immediately. Too many snowflakes there and here...[just look at the snowflakes that 'liked' your comment]

• Members 96 posts
    Jan. 7, 2024, 8:46 p.m.

Sure, I guess that's one way to deal with people that have different opinions than one's own. Just file them under "snowflake" label. Saves time compared to more nuanced options! I think as far as this conversation is concerned, further effort is useless.

• Members 878 posts
  • Members 599 posts
    Jan. 7, 2024, 9:39 p.m.

You would have to be more specific...why give up the conversation. Words don't kill...except to snowflakes.

• Members 378 posts
    Jan. 10, 2024, 1:29 p.m.

Hi,

You are probably correct there. And that includes me. If there are only photos, and no discussion of what is used to produce them and how to use the equipment, I'm not interested.

But, then, that's why I showed up at DP Review and not elsewhere in the first place over 20 years ago. My signature is missing here, so my position is not obvious. I'll manually add it to this post.

When we discuss digital photography it does not do to divorce the images produced from the camera that captured it nor the software that processed it. Especially the latter. I have made significantly different looking output from the same input over the decades as the processing hardware and software changed.

Stan

Amateur Photographer
    Professional Electronics Development Engineer

• Members 676 posts
    Jan. 10, 2024, 4:04 p.m.

Yes. I completely understand. I've been making photographic images since the mid 1950s and from the very beginning, an image published in a photography magazine was not complete (to my thinking) without identification of the camera, lens, aperture, shutter speed, film type - just after the title in the image caption. When talking to other photographers, gear was the majority of the conversation. Especially when sharing prints, which brought in a whole additional layer of darkroom gear discussion.

But somewhere along the way, I also started to appreciate photography for the nature of the images in their own right.

I've been participating in the "Wednesday CC No Theme" thread here since its beginning. I deliberately remove all exif information from my posts. Many others do the same, some allow exif data to come through. But discussion of gear is only an incidental or peripheral aspect of the Thread.

I find it delightfully liberating to almost completely ignore the gear I have used or that others have used in creating our presentations. It's a pretty light-hearted place, very respectful, the discussions are enjoyable and welcoming. I encourage you to give it a try. As a fellow "left brain guy," I'm warning you, you just might like it.

😉

Rich

• Foundation 1438 posts
    Jan. 10, 2024, 4:09 p.m.

Rich,

Forgíve me, but I do not understand why you take the trouble to do this. Occasionally, when looking at other’s photos, I find the EXIF data interesting, indeed, instructive. Perhaps you would explain for me why you consider it important to withhold It.

David

• Members 676 posts
    Jan. 10, 2024, 4:26 p.m.

Hi David,

Just to focus attention on the image itself. At least for the initial post. If I'm lucky enough to get responses or discussion of the image, comments about gear certainly might come up. There are no restrictions but gear is just not a priority there.

Keeping the "focus" (pun intended) on the image itself is the primary intent of the Thread.

edit: I don't take "any trouble" to remove exif data, Photoshop allows an "image only" option when exporting a JPEG. It's my default method of saving for the Thread.

Rich

• Foundation 1438 posts
    Jan. 10, 2024, 5:43 p.m.

Thanks for the reply, RIch. I personally dont look at the EXIF info unless I find an image itself interesting, and I think most people are like that here. However, if I cannot read the EXIF data when I would like to, I find it frustrating and sense that the poster is trying to project some kind of anonymity. Similarly, unless one is a famous public figure, I am beginning to think that anonymous user names are another barrier. What have most of us to fear by using our real names? My real name and email are in my profile, if anyone cares to know.

Best,

David

• Members 676 posts
    Jan. 10, 2024, 6:04 p.m.

David,

FWIW, here's a partial quote from the originator of the thread:

"THREAD GUIDELINES – THE SHORT & SWEET VERSION
    This thread does not care about brands. It’s not about the tool, but the image."

Maybe you can relax your filter somewhat in such a thread?

If you see an image of mine that you'd like technical information about, I'll be glad to provide it, extensively.

Rich

• Members 599 posts
    Jan. 10, 2024, 8:11 p.m.

There has always been too much 'Fanboy-ism' over the many years regarding photographs. Keeping them at bay is a way to allow for a more 'objective' viewing.

• Members 38 posts
    Jan. 13, 2024, 1:25 a.m.

This morning I found 2 Emails telling me that I have had a 7 day ban because of my comments on two threads.
    No idea why, so I had a look and both threads have been deleted so I still don't know what I could have written there to be banned nor what others did write.
    Funny thing is that I am pretty active on another couple of sub-forums as well as participate on several others many times, but NOT moderated by Mako, and never been banned there.
    I suspect that these kast two have more to do with this thread than anything else : www.dpreview.com/forums/thread/4738968
    note that I only have just one account so no I am not also Markusweld...
    I wonder how long will it take for DPReview to figure out how many have left because of that particular moderator. (BTW, yes I do know she reads these pages, or she did at least...).

• Members 1514 posts
    Jan. 13, 2024, 5:46 a.m.

Write to the site feedback administrators, explaining the problem. They will usually reverse this silliness.

I got a permanent ban when I wrote a post, letting off steam about two other mods on DPR in the early days of this site. I believe Mako was responsible, or at least had some role, as she did indeed follow this site in the early days.

I have mostly given up with DPR, it is still OK to ask questions as the odds of getting a useful reply are higher, but discussion of anything even mildly contentious is a no, no.

• Members 38 posts
    Jan. 15, 2024, 9:22 p.m.

I sent a request for clarifications given that the threads where supposedly I was abusive had disappeared ad Mako came back with this message : Calling another member a plant for P&G in that tone draws complaints.
    So I replied that I have no idea whatsoever of what P&G is so how about showing me the words I used . never heard back after this.
    Anyway, if anyone here does know what that P&G reference is to , please let me know.

• Jan. 15, 2024, 10:33 p.m.

Proctor and Gamble? They make shampoo and toothpaste. 🤣🤣

• Members 38 posts
    Jan. 15, 2024, 11:58 p.m.

Yes, that is the only one that came to mind, so I had a look on Google and could not find anything else.
    Odd how one can be banned but he is not allowed to know why.
    BTW ,I have been on DPReview pretty much since the start, the first few years from work under a different name. I forgot my password when I left so I started another one. 20,000 plus comments with this second account.