• Members 1514 posts
    April 1, 2024, 4:59 p.m.

I think a lot of us who came from film, never really thought about comparing 135 120 and 5x4, as they all did different things well, 135 for action, 120 for more static subjects and cost and the 5x4 for static subjects like architecture, where I needed movements.

Digital is a little different we use one system for everything from fast action sport to architecture and still life with camera movements. So I guess some sort of codification of sensor size and lens aperture might be useful.

• Members 2294 posts
    April 1, 2024, 9:35 p.m.

why has my exif data been stripped from my posted images ?

• April 1, 2024, 9:46 p.m.

I think this needs to be a separate post with links and examples. As far as I know, nothing has been done. Can you create a new post please?

Alan

• Members 2294 posts
    April 1, 2024, 9:51 p.m.

i just did another test and the exif data is displayed in a post , but my previous images have been stripped.

• Members 2294 posts
    April 1, 2024, 9:52 p.m.

exif data loss test image

P1016779.JPG

P1016779.JPG

JPG, 4.1 MB, uploaded by DonaldB on April 1, 2024.

• Members 183 posts
    April 1, 2024, 9:58 p.m.

Thanks, will keep that in mind. I've been very polite in the PMs so the other person should have no valid complaints.

• Members 166 posts
    April 1, 2024, 10:14 p.m.

Looking at the quoted text from the other person, I was thinking you could be in a position to lodge a complaint! However, seeing that the moderator is - shall we say, something less than impartial - it might be a pointless or unwise course to take.

• Members 598 posts
    April 1, 2024, 10:30 p.m.

There is no problem with the math -- it's a matter of understanding what DR is and how it relates to noise, keeping in mind that the noisiness of a photo varies across the frame as a function of how much light made up various parts of the photo. In the portions of the photo made with very little light, the electronic noise of the sensor makes a much larger difference, so a sensor with very low electronic noise will have much cleaner deep shadows than a more noisy sensor, even though the noisiness of the rest of the photo might otherwise be very similar.

Think of lower electronic noise of a sensor being like having lower gears in a transmission. For pulling heavy weight or going up steep hills, the lower gears help a lot. But for normal driving, they make little to no difference.

• Members 2294 posts
    April 1, 2024, 10:32 p.m.

it just falls on deaf ears. i posted a table of rankings of best bird in flight cameras. after i was heavily critersized by other members that the a7r5 was a better camera than the a7iv. the a7r5 was at 17th and the a74 was at 5th position. the mod deleted my post. as ive said in the past Dpr is sales related forum, not fact and its getting worst.

• Members 3626 posts
    April 1, 2024, 10:35 p.m.

No, DPReview moderators cannot see members' PMs under any circumstances.

PMs is where members can exchange personal information if they choose to and moderators have no right to potentially see that.

Yes, some members break the rules in PMs and in those cases I have always referred the PM to DPR Admin who do have access to view PMs.

DPR Admin have then dealt with the offending members.

• Members 598 posts
    April 1, 2024, 10:35 p.m.

Let's add to it:

www.goodreads.com/quotes/632474-i-have-a-foreboding-of-an-america-in-my-children-s

I have a foreboding of an America in my children's or grandchildren's time -- when the United States is a service and information economy; when nearly all the manufacturing industries have slipped away to other countries; when awesome technological powers are in the hands of a very few, and no one representing the public interest can even grasp the issues; when the people have lost the ability to set their own agendas or knowledgeably question those in authority; when, clutching our crystals and nervously consulting our horoscopes, our critical faculties in decline, unable to distinguish between what feels good and what's true, we slide, almost without noticing, back into superstition and darkness...

The dumbing down of American is most evident in the slow decay of substantive content in the enormously influential media, the 30 second sound bites (now down to 10 seconds or less), lowest common denominator programming, credulous presentations on pseudoscience and superstition, but especially a kind of celebration of ignorance.

― Carl Sagan, The Demon-Haunted World: Science as a Candle in the Dark

• Members 166 posts
    April 1, 2024, 11:18 p.m.

I misremembered. But a complaint about something occurring in a PM can lead to Administrators reading them.

www.dpreview.com/faq#q14

• Members 3626 posts
    April 2, 2024, 12:17 a.m.

Yes, that is what I effectively said below the extract of my post you quoted.

Although they are referred to as "Private Messages" at DPR Forums, DPR Admin are able to access/view them for obvious legal purposes.

As a side note, somewhere in the DPR Forums T&C's or FAQ's it states that it is also against the rules for members to post copy/pastes or screenshots of PMs in the public forums or to other members.

• Members 1026 posts
    April 2, 2024, 3:07 a.m.

Of course politicians will typically use anything to their advantage.

But in regard to those with "an authoritarian tendency" it's kinda weird. They always talk about progress, but the progress is ultimately toward their own advantage, not to the greater community. Something the MAGA respondents never quite see.

[edit]
    Classic example is: They want productivity and fair enough. But they feed us junk food and junk marketing, dumbing the body and mind. Then we are incapable of productivity. Reality is the managers themselves are victims of that dumbing down. They don't adhere to simple optimisation anymore. Run the machine hard, don't worry about breakages / downtime - quite irresponsible from any serious / logical management viewpoint.

That's it in a nutshell.

• Members 598 posts
    April 2, 2024, 3:41 a.m.

Unfortunately, "nutshell" is all too apt as a double entendre.

• Members 1026 posts
    April 2, 2024, 4:01 a.m.

Unintentional but funny, even if unfortunate...

• Members 598 posts
    April 2, 2024, 4:06 a.m.

As pointed out long ago when you first posted that "comparison", we have a couple of issues. The first, and most obvious, issue was missed focus with the 5D2 photo. The second issue was the 5D2 photo being lightened 2/3 of a stop more than the XZ1 photo (resulting in the blown highlights). That is, if the XZ1 was at f/2 1/60 ISO 1000, then the 5D2 "should have been" at f/4 1/60 ISO 4000 (assuming f/4 was as wide as the aperture could open, gave enough DOF, and 1/60 was needed to mitigate motion blur). The settings used, f/4 1/30 ISO 3200, represent 2/3 of a stop more lightening (note: "lightening" -- not "lighting") for the 5D2 photo, and thus the lighter blacks and blown portions of the scene.

• Members 1514 posts
    April 2, 2024, 6:12 a.m.

As you seem to be a moderator on DPR, maybe you can tell me why I had a thread deleted on the Open Forum where I made a one line question. "Why do some photographers use medium format". I was accused of "Trolling". This has earnt me what seems to be permanent "sandboxing".

Many people cannot seem to understand the whys and wherefores, of DPR moderation. I made a complaint to Admin. but got no reply.