• Members 828 posts
    July 13, 2024, 8:29 a.m.

Good morning to everyone wherever you are in the world...

• This long-running thread originated on DPReview has grown into an all-inclusive community in which all brands of camera are welcome.
    • Leave your guns and knives at the door. Keep it polite.
    • A new week kicks off Saturday morning (UK time).
    • It can get a bit tangled in here, please edit your post to make it clear to whom you are replying.
    • Don’t just post and run, try to comment on other peoples’ work. We all like feedback.
    • Posting in this thread implies you’re happy to receive feedback.

• Members 828 posts
    July 13, 2024, 8:30 a.m.

Full Circle.jpg

Full Circle.jpg

JPG, 1.7 MB, uploaded by Wormsmeat on July 13, 2024.

• Members 335 posts
    July 13, 2024, 8:57 a.m.

Surfer's bar

On Tall Ships Race event (dprevived.com/t/tall-ships-race/6017/) I also visited pier where abandoned ships were on retirement. On this pier surfers made their "nest" with bar and stuff...
    P7110441_DxO.jpg

P7110441_DxO.jpg

JPG, 635.9 KB, uploaded by Vahur on July 13, 2024.

• Members 597 posts
    July 13, 2024, 9:28 a.m.

Thorfinn's Stronghold

Earl Thorfinn was one of the most powerful Viking lords of Orkney, with his powerbase at Brough Birsay at the NW corner of Orkney Mainland. Nowadays it is a tidal island, accessible via a narrow causway at low tide, though it may still have been connected back in his day. He features in the Orkneyinga Saga, described as a tall, swarthy man, 'skilled in the art of war and of dauntless courage.'
    As well as the remains of the viking settlement, the island has magnificent cliffs on its seaward side, home to countless seabirds.

Crossing the causway as the tide retreats, the rock pools are amazingly clear and filled with a mulititude of waving seaweeds. We even spotted little hermit crabs scuttling around 😁
    P7023318.jpg

P7023326.jpg

P7023329.jpg

Looking back to the 'mainland'. Three image stich.
    P7023334-Pano.jpg

Precariously balanced rock above a 'geo', or narrow crevice dropping rich down to the water. Spot the razorbill clinging to the rock ledge!
    P7023358.jpg

P7023364.10.jpg

This beautiful rock made me think of those pictures you see of blue whales emerging from the water crusted with barnacles.
    P7023379.jpg

P7023318.jpg

JPG, 4.9 MB, uploaded by Woodsider79 on July 13, 2024.

P7023329.jpg

JPG, 4.5 MB, uploaded by Woodsider79 on July 13, 2024.

P7023379.jpg

JPG, 3.9 MB, uploaded by Woodsider79 on July 13, 2024.

P7023358.jpg

JPG, 3.5 MB, uploaded by Woodsider79 on July 13, 2024.

P7023364.10.jpg

JPG, 2.9 MB, uploaded by Woodsider79 on July 13, 2024.

P7023334-Pano.jpg

JPG, 1.7 MB, uploaded by Woodsider79 on July 13, 2024.

P7023326.jpg

JPG, 2.9 MB, uploaded by Woodsider79 on July 13, 2024.

• Members 597 posts
    July 13, 2024, 9:31 a.m.

Lovely subtle colours. Looks like a very cosy "nest"

• Members 291 posts
    July 13, 2024, 9:51 a.m.

Coppull Hall Wood

After skimming the edge of Coppull Hall Wood during last weekend's walk, I decided to go back on Monday evening and have a proper look around. Rather than walking through Drybones Wood from Birkacre, I instead approached from the other side, skirting Coppull Hall before dropping down into the woods. This evening was particularly hot and stuffy, even more so in the woods and the midges were having a field day, so it wasn't the best of conditions to be out in, although, considering it's chucked it down ever since this week, perhaps it wasn't that bad after all.

The woods themselves were dark and oppressive, densely overgrown and generally very unwelcoming, making me feel a bit uncomfortable, so I didn't hang around for too long before finding my way out and heading back to the car. It's funny how a woodland can sometimes give off a sense of hostility, I've felt it in a few places and this was one of them (plantation woodlands often give off a similar vibe I find).

For this walk, I'd decided to break out the Z8 + 24-70 f/2.8S. It was too hot to be messing around carrying a tripod, so these are all handheld. The sky was bright blue with a low angled sun, so in spite of the dense woodland, there were lots of hotspots as the sun pierced the canopy here and there, which was not ideal.

Fields of Green

The OS map said there was a path across this field and it appeared sufficient other people had thought the same due to the line of trampled plants that accurately followed the line on the map. I bet the farmer just loves that.

DSC_4044.jpg

Reach For The Skies

The trunk of this tree had a fascinating sinewy nature, like the bark had been peeled back to reveal the structure underneath. I could have done without the tree on the far right intruding into the frame, but wouldn't want to crop it out as it would upset the balance of the image. Probably a candidate for generative fill if it ever comes to any of the tools I use, but for now it would mean spending 30 minutes in Affinity painting it out with the infill tool.

DSC_4047.jpg

Mystical Woods

So, given my overall uncomfortable feeling while wandering around these woods, I was surprised that this image came out so peaceful and almost mystical looking once I got my hands on it in Capture One. Just a footnote, this is the same tree as seen in the previous image, just from the other side.

DSC_4049.jpg

No Through Route

The paths through this woods were often rough and difficult to traverse, with this one being no different. I do feel there's a great picture to be had here, but this isn't it. I like the different lighting and detail on the two vine covered trees on the right, plus the fallen tree is interesting, but the overall composition is a bit sucky. Still, I think it has some merit, so I've included it here.

DSC_4061.jpg

Giant Slug Trails

Slugs leaving trails this wide would probably have you leg off if they could catch you. Fortunately this isn't the work of nature gone made, just some sort of sheeting to keep the birds away from the seeds, although, judging from the rustling regularly heard beneath it as I walked along the edge of the field, some wildlife (presumably field mice) was clearly having a ball beneath it.

DSC_4080.jpg

Afraid Of The Light

At the lower edge of the field in the previous shot was another strip of woodland that I wanted to explore, but again, that feeling of dread made me just as keen to get out of there once I was in. I also found it exceptionally hard to navigate inside this woods. What paths there were, were extremely steep and slippery, making moving safely around the interior challenging to say the least and, although it held a solid lock, my Garmin decided it no longer wanted to reliably tell me which direction I was going in. It was odd and I ended up retracing my steps and getting out of there as quickly as I could.

This tree was on the edge of the woods adjacent to the field and seemed to be cowering in the shadows.

DSC_4090.jpg

DSC_4049.jpg

JPG, 2.1 MB, uploaded by SteveMonks on July 13, 2024.

DSC_4047.jpg

JPG, 2.1 MB, uploaded by SteveMonks on July 13, 2024.

DSC_4061.jpg

JPG, 1.9 MB, uploaded by SteveMonks on July 13, 2024.

DSC_4090.jpg

JPG, 1.8 MB, uploaded by SteveMonks on July 13, 2024.

DSC_4080.jpg

JPG, 1.2 MB, uploaded by SteveMonks on July 13, 2024.

DSC_4044.jpg

JPG, 830.1 KB, uploaded by SteveMonks on July 13, 2024.

• Members 1162 posts
  • Members 1162 posts
    July 13, 2024, 9:54 a.m.

Great shots. This I really love.

• Members 1162 posts
    July 13, 2024, 9:55 a.m.

Great shot with that splash of colour on lhs.

• Members 1162 posts
    July 13, 2024, 9:56 a.m.

Combo of circle and straight lines wins me over.

• Members 1162 posts
    July 13, 2024, 9:58 a.m.

What a shot!!!

• Members 1024 posts
    July 13, 2024, 10:29 a.m.

X 2. The architects have got it right this time.

• Members 828 posts
    July 13, 2024, 10:40 a.m.

That's a cool spot to hang out.

• Members 828 posts
    July 13, 2024, 10:43 a.m.

A drop-dead gorgeous set. What scenery. Love that stich shot, the mind-boglling geo and the last.

• Members 828 posts
    July 13, 2024, 10:45 a.m.

The first could be Tuscany. It's a lovely shot. The sun has disappeared again, it seems.
    I like the slug shot too.

• Members 828 posts
    July 13, 2024, 10:47 a.m.

I like it but think this would be better in mono. It would add a touch of mystery to it and bring the bit on the left (which I don't think works in colour) into play.

• Members 597 posts
    July 13, 2024, 3:43 p.m.

Thanks! This is one of my blended exposures, in this case a 10 image burst. That results in the banding effect in the water on the left side. I don't mind that, but some folks would doubtless have a problem! Anyway, it beats carrying a tripod - though with the wind that was blowing, a tripod would probably have ended up in the sea at the bottom of the cliff.