• Members 1464 posts
    April 26, 2023, 9:28 p.m.

As usual, brilliant colors and pleasing geometrical lines and forms. These are some of the most interesting (and geometric) ICM abstracts I've seen. Most folk who use ICM well seem to be seeking impressionistic outcomes (or maybe that's just where I hang out). Visually very engaging. I see the little jaggies in the second capture like the ones in the guitar capture and am wondering if those little formations are from a light source that vibrates like neon? Fascinating..

• Members 1737 posts
    April 26, 2023, 10:25 p.m.

The little textural variations in the second image are from the pulse width modulation of the LEDs, which takes place at a higher frequency than the periodic changes to neon tubes, which usually occurs at mains frequency or twice that. When picking the shutter speed, it helps to have some idea of the way the light sources are modulated.

• Members 1737 posts
    April 26, 2023, 10:26 p.m.

Thank you. I like to do ICM with subjects that are not static, and using non-incandescent light sources fills that bill.

• Members 1464 posts
    April 26, 2023, 11:16 p.m.

That explains the interesting textural element. Of course the electrical specifics go right over my head but I get the general idea. Very interesting that you've found a way to make artistic images out of frequency variations.

• Members 676 posts
    April 26, 2023, 11:20 p.m.

Mondrian - ish
    Mondrian-ish.jpg

. . . and a more prosaic view of the scene. You take what you get. Different day, different dumpster.

IMG_3458.jpg

IMG_3458.jpg

JPG, 3.3 MB, uploaded by Rich42 on April 26, 2023.

Mondrian-ish.jpg

JPG, 3.1 MB, uploaded by Rich42 on April 26, 2023.

• Members 861 posts
    April 26, 2023, 11:39 p.m.

The more I look at it, the more I like it. I also can't help but feel like it is missing that little something extra. The designer in me wants that yellow to touch the frame top. Still, wonderful capture of colors and quite a stunning transformation from blah to beautiful.

• Members 1737 posts
    April 26, 2023, 11:40 p.m.
    _GF07747-Edit.jpg

JPG, 409.7 KB, uploaded by JimKasson on April 26, 2023.

_GF06039-Edit-2.jpg

JPG, 645.6 KB, uploaded by JimKasson on April 26, 2023.

• Members 676 posts
    April 27, 2023, 12:03 a.m.

Thank you!

Rich

• Members 295 posts
    April 27, 2023, 12:13 a.m.

0 mm, f/1.00
    Captured without a lens?

• Members 1737 posts
    April 27, 2023, 12:17 a.m.

Coastal Optical 60/4 IR-VIS-UV. The GFX cameras record garbage for FL and aperture when you use a dumb adapter.

• Members 621 posts
    April 27, 2023, 12:32 a.m.

Wandering the streets of Seattle. Museum of Pop Culture.

06D3D7DD-EC08-4BD9-8FE0-24D9A145DD5F.jpeg

06D3D7DD-EC08-4BD9-8FE0-24D9A145DD5F.jpeg

JPG, 109.7 KB, uploaded by TheDavinator on April 27, 2023.

• Members 621 posts
    April 27, 2023, 12:35 a.m.

Reminds me of summer as a kid when we travelled in the car. A quiet, colourful scene. Love the sense of stillness.

• Members 676 posts
    April 27, 2023, 12:57 a.m.

I really like the quiet. Is it early morning or evening? The single car on he street is more effective than if the street were completely empty.

Rich

• Members 741 posts
    April 27, 2023, 5:18 a.m.

I agree completely, but must confess that I had not even (consciously) noticed the jawline of the spectators, before MinnieV mentioned it. My bad.
    My own personal point of extra appreciation here, is that the image creates a sense of reversal of roles. It looks like the fish, while in captivity, enjoys the greatest sense of freedom, whereas the visitors are locked in a claustrophobic and tight space, that seems much more cramped. The composition creates that illusion extremely well.

• Members 1251 posts
    April 27, 2023, 6:04 a.m.

*It is interesting to compare this image with Roel's of this week. Completely different subjects however the underlying composions are similar and they produce similar responses in a viewer, well, this viewer anyway.
    Both ar dominated by horizontal lines and some bands of different colour. Consequently, both suggest peacefulness. Roel has toys without users, Linda has a pedestrian symbol. In both, a point is made about the lack of humans in a scene where we might expect them.
    They differ sharply in the use of colour. Roel's feels bleak, Linda's is full of the promise of a day to come.
    There is a slight suspicion that Linda's scene might be dystopian but so many of the horizontal lines are from very early morning shadows that we put that possibility aside. The curtain has gone up. We admire the bare bones of the set while we wait for the characters to emerge. *

• Members 1251 posts
    April 27, 2023, 6:09 a.m.

Re the image, I agree with you. You first Open Cube, why do you dislike it and if so, why did you post it?

• Members 1251 posts
    April 27, 2023, 6:22 a.m.

The double edged sword of Zoos and aquariums. Who is the viewer and who is the viewed? Lots of plaudits for the face in the bottom left corner. Brilliant. The face is small but cannot be missed. Great contrast with the dark jacket behind. The profile and eyes take us straight to the fish (and I liked the framing of the fish in the V of the window). Then we have a second viewer adding a sightline to the same position. Interaction; the act of viewing and awareness of viewing. The fish floats in dignity above it all.

• Members 1028 posts
    April 27, 2023, 9:01 a.m.

Hello Linda,
    yes it is busy. I was only seeing the oddness of the lean of the tree. The branches lower right are coming towards me which I thought was ok and the only other view to capture the lean would be from the other side. I will have another look at that scene.
    It was quite windy and mostly overcast yesterday but I was determined to get some shots. When I got home they all looked rather crappy but I had a play with my limited pp skills and managed to get something that stood out a bit. I knew some contrast and saturation would lift the colours and then after playing a bit with shadows and highlights it really seemed to stand out with an almost 3d effect. Otherwise I wouldn't have posted it.

Hi minnie, I don't think it is a eucalyptus. I will have a look but I had already decided the leaves were different. They are strange trees though. Notice the one mid left goes up vertically some ways and abruptly veers left. I have seen some others with odd shapes also. Good spot of the gate through that framed opening. I will get one for you.