• Members 741 posts
    April 29, 2023, 10:48 a.m.

Well, no it isn't.
    It's the same, BUT very different....

The Critique forum's purpose in general is for people to post an image and get critique on it.
    Or to not post an image, but look at other people's image and post critique on it.
    It is fragmented and unilateral.

Our endeavour (new here but with a history of 15 years on DPR) is unique in that it is a reciprocal and weekly, scheduled, peer-to-peer adventure with a sense of community and gathering. From that approach, more than just critique on individual images can follow. Take for instance in this week's thread, the way Mike Fewster drew parallels and identified differences between my image and Linda's, resulting in some quite unique insights that pleased Linda greatly.

It is the reciprocity that is the key element here :
    if you participate with an image, you will receive C&C, and you are also expected to give C&C, honestly and constructively.
    Not just a pat on the back or a blunt dismissal, but some kind of motivated response to the image.

Or more academically (and a bit pretentious) It is a dialectic and peripatetic approach to C&C.
    (Much like the old greek philisophical school of Socrates: enlightenment through exchange of ideas and discussion, and asking questions.)
    That makes it sound more high-brow than it actually is.

I've tried to explain this before in an exchange with Camperjim in one of our very first edition here on DPRevived.
    Look here :
    dprevived.com/t/wednesday-cc-no-theme-thread-781-revived-002-on-2023-04-12/1771/#post-14169

For your convenience, I'll copy/paste a few of the main bits :

It is our personal experience (of over 15 years) that a thread with images from multiple members who each also comment on a few images, is a very useful expericence that can result in great discussions. Working that way, can result in a sense of community that can surpass the individual C&C.

AND

Much light can come from a comparison of images by multiple posters in the same thread. Although the thread was always "non theme", it did happen that (by coincidence or by choice) different members posted images of comparable subjects, or in comparable styles. That allowed for really focused C&C, zooming in on creative choices, differences etc.
    Furthermore, the back and forth on specific suggestions for image improvement, were a constant source of inspiration (I was talking about DPR here).

AND
    (about the "need" for this weekly C&C when finally there is a dedicated C&C forum - that was lacking on DPR,
    and the question whether a weekly thread clouds the issue):

DPR forums did not have a good dedicated forum for C&C.
    And I am glad we have got one here.
    And by all means : I hope many people use it and will be happy with it.
    But that does not form an obstacle to creating, within that space, a weekly gathering with a slightly different purpose.
    Please go and check out some of our history on DPR for yourself.
    You might walk away amazed at the depth that a community-driven C&C gathering may produce.

I hope that this answer helps.

• Members 3642 posts
    April 29, 2023, 10:58 a.m.

Yes, it does and I can see the difference more clearly now. Thank you 🙂

Your model for C&C obviously works since it had been running for 15 years on dpreview. To be honest I wasn't aware of its existence over there. I periodically posted images in dpreview's "Samples and Galleries" forum which functioned the same way as "Photography Critiques" works here on dprevived.

I'll definitely have a look in here from time to time and perhaps post some images here instead of "Photography Critiques".

• Members 1175 posts
    April 29, 2023, 11:13 a.m.

Giant

R4270074x.jpg

Visiting North Ontario - came upon Gala orchards.

R4270074x.jpg

JPG, 3.9 MB, uploaded by ChrisOly on April 29, 2023.

• Members 1175 posts
    April 29, 2023, 11:41 a.m.

Great contrast, great lines. These 3 lines really hold the interest for the viewer. Excellent composition.

• Members 1175 posts
    April 29, 2023, 11:44 a.m.

Superb shot. More you look at it more you see. The mountains in the background create perfect backdrop for this empty avenue. Almost like a painting...

• Members 1175 posts
    April 29, 2023, 11:55 a.m.
  • Members 1175 posts
    April 29, 2023, 11:58 a.m.

2 One way signs certainly draw attention. I like their positioning on RHS. The star of the show are those trees and their crowns. Excellent angle.

• Members 1175 posts
    April 29, 2023, 12:03 p.m.

Dream shot. The sky, mountains, the road, vegetation. Excellent.

• Members 1175 posts
    April 29, 2023, 12:05 p.m.

Like your tree abstracts. Amazing pp!

• Members 3642 posts
    April 29, 2023, 12:07 p.m.

I also dabble with abstracts sometimes. Here is one I came up with when I first experimented with creating abstracts.

abstract.jpg

abstract.jpg

JPG, 272.3 KB, uploaded by DannoLeftForums on April 29, 2023.

• Members 1175 posts
    April 29, 2023, 12:07 p.m.

Very appealing and intriguing, I must say.

• Members 1175 posts
    April 29, 2023, 12:09 p.m.

Brilliant!!!

• Members 1175 posts
    April 29, 2023, 12:11 p.m.

The detail is absolutely amazing. Well done!.

• Members 1175 posts
    April 29, 2023, 12:13 p.m.

Very calm set of images. And the colours and the lines and the reflections. It all comes together very well.

• Members 1028 posts
    April 29, 2023, 12:46 p.m.

Thank you Chris

• Members 741 posts
    April 29, 2023, 1:13 p.m.

You make me happy.
    Not only because apparently, I managed to get our message across.
    But mostly because you have decided to (maybe) join us.
    Please do.
    You will see that friendliness AND honesty in C&C AND constructiveness can go hand in hand.

About our placement in DPR: we were somewhat of a "hidden treasure".
    Originally, the thread had started in Olympus SLR Talk, because the original initiative was by Jonas B (an Olympus user).
    I am still grateful for his inspiration. I jumped on that wagon in week one and have been present in every single edition since.

But immediately, the thread was opened to any brand and camera.
    However, we remained on Olympus SLR Talk, out of a sense of tradition. It was our little corner of the world.
    We did debate from time to time whether we should better move the thread elsewhere, but never found a better spot (on DPR).

Our forced eviction from DPR was seen as an opportunity to broaden our appeal by relocating not to Olympus SLR on DPRevived, but to the Critiques Forum which I daresay was partly inspired by our previous adventures. Minniev made a big contribution in appealing to the DPRevived admins for a C&C Forum.

So there you have the whole story.

Cheers and have a good weekend.

• Members 1254 posts
    April 29, 2023, 4:52 p.m.

More agreement. Fine lines and high contrast = impact. The radiating lines provide a focus point which also takes the eyes to the second shape. Besides, photos that reveal details that my eyes can't pick up always get my interest.
    Nicely done Lou.

• Members 523 posts
    April 29, 2023, 4:56 p.m.

Many thanks!