• Members 1662 posts
    Feb. 22, 2024, 1:06 p.m.
  • Members 137 posts
    Feb. 22, 2024, 2:48 p.m.

I haven't learned to color grade yet! I tried a bunch of things with contrast, vibrance, saturation and black and white and the original image was the one I still prefered, but always looked like it was missing color. Doesn't help It was through a filtered window and a gray overcast day. I will have to put time into learning color grading. Thanks!

• Members 137 posts
    Feb. 22, 2024, 2:49 p.m.

I love how the silhouette puts the child into the image, almost like they are on the near side of a fire while the other dancers are on the far side. It adds a depth to the image.

• Members 137 posts
    Feb. 22, 2024, 2:51 p.m.

I love your use of this lens in the last few images. I have a very cheap one I've played with. Very interesting!

• Members 137 posts
    Feb. 22, 2024, 3:06 p.m.

The sign behind him and his facial expression are really suggestive! Is he a farmer singing the blues? Or country? My truck broke, they don't make em like they used to, my dog died, we got old together, my fruits are gone, since the dog died the rabbits have taken over, and im outta coffee!

• Members 137 posts
    Feb. 22, 2024, 3:09 p.m.

I like the third one, since the trees fill the image it has a balance that makes it seem still. The ground is darker too, closer to the trees in tone and makes it seem like the darkness is reaching up.

• Members 137 posts
    Feb. 22, 2024, 3:20 p.m.

I feel like he is waiting for me to say something or expecting me to do something. But, I want him to tell me or show me something.

• Members 861 posts
    Feb. 22, 2024, 7:38 p.m.

"Other Species"
    otherspecies.jpg

otherspecies.jpg

JPG, 3.8 MB, uploaded by OpenCube on Feb. 22, 2024.

• Members 532 posts
    Feb. 22, 2024, 8:15 p.m.

Dragon Power

In Baodingshan in Sichuan there is a small valley, where 900 years ago monks carved thousands of statues into the cliff showing various aspects of Buddhism for those who could not read, including this dragon guarding the entrance to a temple in a cave. There were plenty of tourists, who threatened to dominate the valley more than the statues, and I was keen to show the dragon as master of a thousand years, and the tourists as fleeting visitors. I tried to do this with a long exposure to blur the people, but leave the dtagon sharp-

Pete

FB113891.jpg

FB113891.jpg

JPG, 894.2 KB, uploaded by PeteS on Feb. 22, 2024.

• Members 676 posts
    Feb. 22, 2024, 8:28 p.m.

Thanks Lou.

The stairs don't normally look that dramatic.

Stairs.jpg

I was playing with Annie, our cat, on the living room floor (to the left) and looked up at the stairs from that perspective which greatly exaggerated the play of the curve of the rails. I made the shot with a 45mm lens on a Medium Format camera. I almost had to stand on my head to get the camera into the right position. The image required a lot of perspective distortion correction in Photoshop.

Rich

Stairs.jpg

JPG, 1.2 MB, uploaded by Rich42 on Feb. 22, 2024.

• Members 1244 posts
    Feb. 23, 2024, 12:08 a.m.

For me it's a toss up between 2 and 3. In 2 I like the diminishing tree size and density, left to right followed by the space on the right. The green feels a little too strong. Possibly decrease vibrancy a bit and also crop off some from the lower edge. The large darker green to me feels intrusive and too strong for the softer trees and fog.
    In 3, the green is considerably more muted and the tone balance feels better to me. Even so, I'd experiment with cropping a little off the bottom. I very much like the leaning trees at the front and then the layered stages back into the fog.

• Members 1244 posts
    Feb. 23, 2024, 12:35 a.m.

A very clever and unorthodox composition. Our hero takes up almost the entire left hand side of the image. A series of lines leads back down through the shop. They takes us to details that don't comptete, they add tou our knowledge of the character and his world. The stool on the right fills in the details of the stool behind our subject. Yes, it's the kind of homely wooden artifact we might have expected. And we get details of what the shop sells along with handwritten signage. We aren't in the world of super chain stores here. The lighting on the hands ensures we give attention to them. They are big hands and tell their own story.
    Memo to self. Get a pair of those overalls and carry them in my camera bag when traveling in the countryside. Get any subject to put them on. They add character by the truckload.
    Pretty much perfect.

• Members 1244 posts
    Feb. 23, 2024, 12:53 a.m.

I agree with Simplejoy. There's something good here but it is difficult to get it to work. I like the activity on the deck and the empty chairs and the colour palette. I tried cropping in while retaining some of the building and reflections on the right. I also wanted to keep the touches of red on the flag and the passengers and, if possible in the reflection. Attached are a couple of my cropping attempts but I'm not happy with them either. I want to keep the height of your shot but bring out the deck. Mission Impossible.
    [boat.jpeg]

boat 2 .jpg(/a/9iz8IV4aDFKxenHLDIOynt27q9WXXeh57NqrxqLc72gCYytKF7LbnM9VBkPi4TKq/21261/?shva=1)

I'll get back to the Spanish shots later.

boat 2 .jpg

JPG, 33.0 KB, uploaded by MikeFewster on Feb. 23, 2024.

boat.jpeg

JPG, 57.2 KB, uploaded by MikeFewster on Feb. 23, 2024.

• Members 1244 posts
    Feb. 23, 2024, 1:04 a.m.

What about "Forecasting economic trends"?
    Clever photo. The lift off from penline to wire in another dimension, is very smooth. The sharp red tip and black pen dominate and then the out of focus builds as we follow the line. There is never any doubt about the background. The multi squares create movement lines while also suggesting something scientific is underway. The positioning of the pen gives plenty of visual space for the red line.
    Incidentally, was this originally a love letter for Valentine's Day thought? That blooks as though it could be multiple hearts along the wire.

• Members 137 posts
    Feb. 23, 2024, 1:15 a.m.

I tried the similar things. I even tried a square, which kinda works.
    There is something unsettling about how the boat seems to imminently crash or disappear into the windows. It made me want to jump out and chase it around the corner.

• Members 1244 posts
    Feb. 23, 2024, 2:26 a.m.

Yes. Looking at the activity of the top deck I recalled the band on Titanic playing until the last moment. Many appear to have already abandoned ship.

• Members 1244 posts
    Feb. 23, 2024, 3:22 a.m.

Lou, the image I'm seeing is very pixelated. I suspect that what should make the image work is a lush carpet of differing textures. The pixelation is messing up the textures so it is difficult to discuss the picture. I have tried your advice enlarge and then download. It helped a little but not enough.

• Members 1244 posts
    Feb. 23, 2024, 3:32 a.m.