• Removed user
    June 2, 2023, 12:26 p.m.

I'm confused as to intent:

Is it only whole threads - in their original order of posting - with the said source threads being removed from their original category - i.e. truly moved?

Or can offending posts be removed from original threads and somehow posted in a new Dumpster thread or old one created by Admin?

And can an offending part i.e. sequence, not necessarily contiguous, e.g. xpatUSA vs Danno, be excised and truly moved**

**Truly moved = deleted from the source then added to the destination.

• June 2, 2023, 12:36 p.m.

It could be any of them.

When I do it, it will be offending posts and potentially offending responses. Not the whole thread.

Yes, non contiguous sequences can be moved - I just have to work out how to do it properly (Bob has told me, I just need to try it out).

Yes, truly moved - not copied.

Alan

• June 2, 2023, 12:45 p.m.

There isn't a clear policy at this time.
    We're trying to reconcile conflicting demands from different groups of users.
    Group A feels that it is an offence that anyone should have discussions that they don't approve of. In the extreme case, they object to heated 'to and fro' discussions. They lobby for such discussions to be deleted and the people involved banned.
    Group B feels that they should have the right to engage in the discussions that they want, and if that includes discussions that irritate group A, so be it.
    We invented the Dumpster as a compromise. Offending discussions can be moved to the dumpster, where group A will not be subject to them, unless they go looking (which for some reason they frequently seem to do). At the same time, group B can carry on with those discussions (though they seem less keen when it's not out there in the limelight).
    The forum SW allows us to split and merge threads. Splitting involves removing posts from one thread and putting them in another new thread, created by the person doing the splitting. Moving involves simply moving posts from one thread to another. So, what will typically happen is that when a discussion liable to irritate group A emerges, it will be split into a new thread in the Dumpster. If further posts appear in the original thread in the same vein, they will be moved there.
    The simple rule if you're in group A is, don't go near the Dumpster, you won't approve of it.

• Foundation 165 posts
    June 2, 2023, 1:09 p.m.

Bob & Alan,

Personally, I find the to & fro spats that the usual suspects get into quite entertaining - though I have to admit there are some occasions when I wish they would just answer the bloody question put forward...! Therefore I hope your "Dumpster compromise" becomes the policy in due course

Ironic, isn't it?

Not so much ironic as disappointment at not being the centre of attention...?

Keep up the good work - 99.9% of us really appreciate the team's efforts

Tim

• June 2, 2023, 2:28 p.m.

More ironically, they're not unknown to derail whole threads complaining that if threads are allowed to get derailed no-one will come to these forums, then continue to come to these forums to say that no-one is coming...

• Members 222 posts
    June 2, 2023, 2:33 p.m.

Personally I am deeply offended (on behalf of others) that you move perfectly rude and discordant arguments to a place that I have to search for (the Dumpster) just so I can get angry at other people shouting about things I am not interested in and that don't matter...a total disgrace. I shall continue to frequent the fora here and be angry...

Thanks guys, great job

• Members 96 posts
    June 2, 2023, 2:47 p.m.

So far this experiment looks fairly promising. Now having a threaded view to skip perpetual motion machines™ more easily doesn't feel as urgent anymore, if some of the most extremely long-winded cases get moved. Nothing against them existing as long as it's easier to skip.

So, kudos for trying this out.

• Members 209 posts
    June 2, 2023, 3:20 p.m.

Apart from the hoped for collapsed view, what also may help is limiting quotes to what the replier selects, not the whole post

• June 2, 2023, 3:49 p.m.

That is also one of the things we are looking at. Removing the "quote" button and relying on the replier (is that a word) to select the text he or she wants to quote.But it's just one of the things we are looking at.

Alan

• Members 376 posts
    June 2, 2023, 4:49 p.m.

Hi,

I need to add my kudos as well. It's a good solution. Except.... It sees me looking into the dumpster now to see what fun stuff I have missed elsewhere!

Edit addition:

But we still, one day (and I want to be clear that I am not pushing here), need a threaded view. Not so much for the Pork Belly Aching type of stuff. But for side discussions within a thread.

For example, there's a thread regarding the old ASA film sensitivity standard and the newer ISO one. That one is begging for a side discussion regarding Standards and Organizations. Yes, those two and about 6 others which pop immediately into my head. And such a side discussion won't be only about film. ;)

So far, I've Been Good and been biting my tongue here. Um can we say that on a text based forum. :P

Stan

• Members 675 posts
    June 2, 2023, 5:19 p.m.

Now if you could super-impose a constantly-changing GIF of simulated loss of video signal sync plus a whomping dose of "white noise snow" over the dumpster messages so that they are nearly impossible to read by most everyone except those that are so insanely interested in their creation and perpetration, that would be just great.

Then maybe those few nut cases will develop blinding migraines and go away!

I mean that in the nicest possible way!

😱

• June 2, 2023, 5:24 p.m.

You can select part of message and click on popped up quote button - this quotes only selection - but many users just are used to hit Quote button below the post.

Then it can be possible to limit quote height visually - to see entire quoted text you have to scroll inside it. Maybe we will try this approach in some beta version.

• June 2, 2023, 5:27 p.m.

I'm putting reply to links in for threaded - because without them there's no way of doing it. That bit's done and should go in the next release. The way it works is that if you use the post 'reply' button you get a link to that post, which allows you to navigate back to the replied-to post.
    If you press the 'quote' button you get a link and a quote.
    If you select from the post and quote, you get a link and quote for each selection.
    So with this both 'reply' and 'quote' have separate and useful functions.

• Members 599 posts
    June 2, 2023, 8:24 p.m.

Which is why there should not be a dumpster. Let it all pan out, till a certain equilibrium materializes and tantrum Group A doesn't get the pacifier soother, and has to grow a pair, whilst the Group B has its itch scratched and it's all good.
    A forum site of sheep will beget a moderation of wolves again like DPreview. Do we really want that...?

• June 2, 2023, 8:32 p.m.

Just to add some details, these screenshots from the development site.
    Screenshot from 2023-06-02 21-28-12.png

Screenshot from 2023-06-02 21-28-53.png

Screenshot from 2023-06-02 21-28-53.png

PNG, 93.6 KB, uploaded by bobn2 on June 2, 2023.

Screenshot from 2023-06-02 21-28-12.png

PNG, 99.3 KB, uploaded by bobn2 on June 2, 2023.

• June 2, 2023, 8:37 p.m.

No, we don't. I'm not completely convinced about the dumpster, but we'll let it go for now, see how it pans out.