• Members 159 posts
    April 27, 2023, 4:05 p.m.

media.tenor.com/ybTtS9SEGkYAAAAC/michael-jordan-stop.gif

• Members 39 posts
    April 27, 2023, 4:13 p.m.

It helps if you actually read posts beyond the first few words. I'll break it down in simpler terms for you:

A1 many money, 50 MP
    R5 less money, 45 MP
    Z7ii much less money, 45 MP

Z7ii AF very very good at track mountain

• Members 159 posts
    April 27, 2023, 4:17 p.m.

It's helps if you actually answer the question as it was asked.

• April 27, 2023, 4:25 p.m.

The Z8 seems to be an honest response to the people saying 'I want a Z9 but it's too big'. Unfortunately, I suspect that what they were actually thinking was 'and I want it at 2/3 the price'. It the rumoured price of $5k is correct, then that's about right for the extra that the Z9 offers. Nikon will still need a Z6III to compete with the R6 II and a Z7 III to compere with the A7R V. They'll both be very different to the Z8.

• Members 159 posts
    April 27, 2023, 4:34 p.m.

Agreed, 100%.

But I'm leaning towards thinking they should use this unique moment in time to drop a "Mini Z9" at a low price in the sole interest of gaining market share.

• Members 260 posts
    April 27, 2023, 5:29 p.m.
  • Members 260 posts
    April 27, 2023, 5:30 p.m.

I am ready to accept it for free - Nikon, I promise then to buy few lenses !!!

• Members 260 posts
    April 27, 2023, 5:35 p.m.

not to mention that they also need to plan ahead to compete with what is coming within a year or so ( A1M2, A9M3, R1, R5M2, etc) , not playing catch up what released a year+ ago ... but they might as well do not want to compete - why shall they ?! cameras first got decimated by smartphones, now they will by AI - market is shrinking ...

• Members 39 posts
    April 27, 2023, 6:31 p.m.

You asked us to pick a camera, and I gave a reasonable metric for picking cameras that the Z7ii does best at. Should I have assumed alphabetical order instead? If you want people to agree with you on what camera is best, you need to actually specify how you're measuring "best" - as Thom pointed out in the second sentence of the post you were replying to...

• Members 21 posts
    April 27, 2023, 7:32 p.m.

Thanks XRay for supporting my initial post that started this thread. I guess it was a very legitimate question (98 posts later). Even @thom chimed in on it. Some folks are too quick to react and point fingers, you on the other hand kept your cool and look what an interesting discussion transpired.

• Members 65 posts
    April 27, 2023, 7:52 p.m.

[/quote]
    Nikon designed and marketed the Z7 as the mirrorless version of the D850.
    [/quote]
    I do not recall that.
    I recall Nikon saying the Z7 (which I bought at launch in addition to my D850) was the most compact high resolution body they could make.
    Digressing - after firmware upgrades I rate the Z7 as at least the equal overall of the D850.

• Members 159 posts
    April 27, 2023, 8:13 p.m.

No problem. I'm a diehard Nikon guy, but I'm never going to defend them from legitimate criticism. The only way Nikon will do better is if we demand it. That means publicly pointing out their shortcomings and voting with our dollars.

• Members 159 posts
    April 27, 2023, 8:23 p.m.

Great. You're welcome to your opinion. I disagree. My opinion, and the opinion of many others, is that it's NOT an equivalent to the D850.

And the beauty of this site is that you don't get to have your mod buddies delete our posts and cancel us when we disagree with you. It's going to be a very different experience for you over here, Leonard.

• April 27, 2023, 8:25 p.m.

The introductory marketing material for the Z7 repeatedly compared it to the D850, always making the point that feature by feature the Z7 was as good as or better than the D850. If you look at the contemporaneous material for the Z6, it does that with the D750.

• April 27, 2023, 8:26 p.m.

Sure, on this site you have the right to be wrong.

• Members 159 posts
    April 27, 2023, 8:31 p.m.

LOL! I respect that philosophy. I appreciate your site, Bob.

• April 27, 2023, 8:36 p.m.

Really, it's not my site. I just did some of the things that were necessary at the time. Not all of them. Now the site belongs to The Photographer's Foundation Limited.

• Members 159 posts
    April 27, 2023, 8:53 p.m.

Well, ok. But when it was announced that DPReview was finished, there was a thread discussing other options. You mentioned you were working on a new site, this one. So that's the way I see it.