• Members 696 posts
    Nov. 25, 2023, 5:38 p.m.

David,

I've been reading a lot lately that says that, irrespective of noise, base ISO has the highest dynamic range and best image quality,

Lately, I've been trying to keep ISO low and adjust shutter speed to zero out my meter.

What do you think?

Steve Thomas

• Members 696 posts
    Nov. 25, 2023, 6:35 p.m.

Thanks Dunlin.

My cat woke me up at 4:30 this morning by jumping on my chest and yelling, "Time to get up! The day's wasting away!.😀

Steve Thomas

• Foundation 1438 posts
    Nov. 25, 2023, 6:48 p.m.

Steve,

This is what is known as "a counsel of perfection"! Try to forget it, and take the same shot with different ISO settings, to see what difference you notice. There are some examples here.

The noise that one sees at high ISO only shows up in the dark areas of the scene. I dont think I have seen examples of such scenes in your photos posted here. As I have written before, "digital film" is free, so experiment. Most of us are not taking photos of UFOs and can afford the opportunity of retaking the shot!

If you are really worried about noise at high ISO, shoot raw files and process with DXO Photolab, as I do. (It is on Black Friday sale for another couple of days.)

I am preparing to post photos of Christmas Markets and Lighting taken almost in the dark, at ISO values up to 25,600.

Here is an example of one I took that night, simply for technical interest.

The deliberately underexposed jpeg out of the camera:

IMG_7261-a.jpg

I think you'll agree that from the point of view of noise it is OK. I have to look carefully to see any.

The raw file, processed in Photolab6:

IMG_7261_b.jpg

But feel free to disagree with me! (By the way, I have no commercial connection with DXO, except as a paying customer.)

Best,

David

IMG_7261-a.jpg

JPG, 994.1 KB, uploaded by davidwien on Nov. 25, 2023.

IMG_7261_b.jpg

JPG, 1.4 MB, uploaded by davidwien on Nov. 25, 2023.

• Members 696 posts
    Nov. 25, 2023, 8:47 p.m.

David,

No. I live way out in the county 20 miles from the nearest town..

That's what I mentioned earlier about "irrespective of noise". One thing I read earlier said that photos get "flatter" as you raise the ISO. I'm trying to find out for myself if that's true. Proponents of this approach say that you should start out at base ISO and only raise ISO if you have to.

Is it better to use longer shutter speeds, low ISO and a tripod, or faster shutter speeds to overcome camera shake and, higher ISO's?

Which gives you a better image quality?

I don't know.

Up to now, I've always used Aperture Priority and Auto ISO and let the camera work it out. It's only lately that I've begun getting into Manual and Long Exposure techniques..

Steve Thomas

• Foundation 1438 posts
    Nov. 25, 2023, 9:05 p.m.

I think that is a very out of date concept.

I can only tell you that, while I can hand hold as slow as 1/20sec, I normally set the aperture I want and use a minimum speed of 1/100sec, allowing the ISO to go as high as it wants.

That’s basically what I do.

Experiment away, and you will quickly find out what works for you.

Best,

David

• Foundation 1438 posts
    Nov. 25, 2023, 10:34 p.m.

The new weekly thread is open here. Please start using it now.

David